Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The crazy life of a missionary...

Well this week was....interesting. After a super spiritual day with Elder Bednar last Monday things just kind of got a little crazier. Tuesday Sister G and I did splits because I had to stay with Sister H's newbie in her area while Sister H was in a training meeting in Joao Pessoa. So I stayed with Sister Arruda in the area Municipius and Sister G stayed with Sister Oliveira whose companion, Sister Pozete also went to this meeting for people who are leaders and are training newbies. While I stayed in Municipius, Sister G in Tibiri had quite an experience....they ended up being 5 feet away from a man when he was murdered. They were walking on the main street in Tibri at 3:00 in the afternoon when they heard a huge blast near them. They covered their ears and kept walking, but soon turned around to see what had happened. Thats when they saw a man with a gun run away and another man (who they had JUST passed) lying dead on the ground with two gunshot wounds to his head. They ended up waiting there until the police came but were told since they don't live here they can''t be witnesses in court. The man who ran off has yet to be found unfortunately. He was an ex-prisoner who killed this other guy because of drugs. Honestly all the violence down here is linked with drugs. It is extremely rare for an innocent person to be killed...so don't worry! I´m just so glad my dear companion didn't get hurt. Just another testimony that the Lord protects his missionaries! After that incident the week went pretty smoothly. We marked 3 baptisms and worked super hard. I definitely was extremely exhausted every night and slept really well this week.

Mother's note: The next part of the email was rated "D" for disgusting so I will skip to the ending:

Sister H got really sick from eating tapioca from a street vendor and at about 11pm Saturday night I called up President Hall and asked permission to take her to the hospital. After talking about her situation he let us go and we raced off to the nearest `hospital`´. When we got there they put Sister H on IV fluids. It was quite a night for Sister H.... I just wanted to cry looking at her. She was in soo much pain and everything was violently leaving her body. We ended staying there for the entire night and we didn't sleep at all. At about 5:00 am she felt well enough to go home. After arriving home at 5:30 we slept for a long long time. Unfortunately because of spending the entire night in a hospital without sleep my cold got a lot worse, but I ended up sleeping it mostly off yesterday. Sister H is doing a lot better today. It is funny that I took her to the hospital for the same thing she took me to the hospital for 5 months ago. Anyway I will have so many ridiculous stories to tell you guys when I get back. Living an extremely poor life is very ridiculous, but fun. We decided that poor people have a lot more fun and interesting experiences than rich people. Rich people´s lives are so normal...for them to have fun usually means them getting into trouble....anyway. I´m content to be poor for the rest of my life. It is so much more interesting. Well things are getting back to normal now (i hope!) and I´m ready for another week full of hard work! I´ve been listening a lot to the conference talks on my ipod and you guys just have to read the priesthood talks....They are AWESOME. Honestly after listening to all President Monson´s talks during conference (Priesthood, Relief Society, and normal sunday session) I just have such a stronger testimony that he is a prophet of God, called to guide and direct our lives in these last days! I hope you all are doing well and enjoying the cold weather! HAVE A GREAT WEEK

No comments:

Post a Comment