Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A proposal

BOA TARDE !!!!

Well I have an announcement to make. Yesterday, I was proposed to...like honestly proposed to...in front of the church with people passing by. The twist is, it wasn’t a guy who proposed to me, it was a woman..our ex-investigator of 4 months to be exact. We only taught her the first 2 lessons before we realize she wasn’t really all there mentally and decided to stop teaching here. However because of her `love’ for me she has been coming to church every Sunday for the last few months. Although we thought that she had lesbian tendencies we didn’t find out for certain until last night when she told Sister G to leave, and for me to take her hands because she wanted to marry me. After refusing to give her my hands and telling Sister G to stand her ground, this woman yelled--`I want to marry you` (for the whole street to hear) and then ran off. The entire ordeal lasted about 10 minutes and afterwards I was so shocked that I called President H. After talking to him for a little bit, I felt a little bit better. I have to say I was expecting for my first real proposal to actually come from someone I loved or that was at least a man. My future husband will just have to accept the fact that a Brazilian woman beat him to the punch.it’s okay though. I was a little freaked out last night because she knows where we live and always shows up in weird places, but things will work out alright. The President told me to completely avoid her, so that’s exactly what I’m going to do!
?
Other than my proposal this past week was great! Yesterday, President and Sister H got all the sisters together for a Sisters P-day! We all met at the lighthouse, Cabo Branco, at 8:30 where we took a few photos and ate breakfast. Sister H is such a dear and made us all Cinnamon Rolls! They were delicious and it was just heavenly eating them! Afterwards we all sat on blankets under the trees, overlooking the ocean and had a lesson in the scriptures from Sister H. She talked a lot about the symbolism behind the word `east`` because we were sitting on the piece of land that sits out the farthest east in the Americas. IT was a really cool message and after singing a hymn, we were allowed to take photos and explore a little bit. It was so much fun! We ended up taking a lot of photos and we ran into some African scientists who quickly became our friends. They spoke a little Portuguese but spoke more English and French than anything. I talked to them a little in French, with my very limited vocabulary and they got super excited! It was so much fun talking with them in such a beautiful place! After taking pictures at a few beautiful places and buying an agua de coco, we headed off to lunch at PIZZA HUT!! Ok ok I know that Pizza Hut doesn’t seem like such a treat for you guys up there in the U.S.A, but for me who has been eating beans, rice, and chicken for 14 straight months....it was a piece of heaven. When we got there they started bringing the pizzas out and then they brought out BBQ wings!!! What a tender mercy. I felt like I was back in Georgia at a BBQ restaurant! Luckily a lot of the Brazilians thought the BBQ sauce was weird and gave their wings to us Americans! It honestly was such a blessing to have been able to eat at Pizza Hut! Afterwards Sister H let us pick up a few groceries and then we headed off to the President’s house for a testimony meeting, pedicure, and Acai! It was so wonderful to hear the testimonies of the other sister and of course, I bore mine. It turned out to be the perfect day. I even got a haircut. Sister Gordan knows how to cut hair and since my last two haircuts were ridiculous, she fixed a lot of the damage that had been done. At the end of the day, I just felt so lucky to be serving in a mission as beautiful as Joao Pessoa, Brazil. Honestly, this mission is richly blessed with beautiful scenery, kind people, and an amazing Mission President whose life is literally an angel! I’ll be really sad to leave here in April. What a blessing my mission has been in my life!

Well, I don’t have much time left on the internet, so I just wanted to share with you guys one last thing. I’ve been listening to general conference talks a lot and yesterday and today I listened to Elder Scott’s. One of the things he said that really hit me was this--``We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become.`` I have found that to be so true. I am making goals to be the person I want to become everyday. Down here so many people give us the whole---I’ll do it tomorrow-- excuse, but we know this life is short and one day our tomorrows will run out. Remember to always BE, everyday, what you want to become. Don’t put off anything for tomorrow. Thank you all for the support, advice, and love that you send. It is greatly appreciated. At times the weekly emails from you all are the things that lift me up the most. Have a wonderful week. I love you all!

com amor, Sister wood

No comments:

Post a Comment