Monday, October 4, 2010

Well wasn't conference just the best?!!!! When President Monson got up to say the closing remarks I couldn't believe that conference was already over! It flew by and was just what I´ve been needing to give me more incentive to be my best! We got to see the Relief Society session in Portuguese and I LOVED President Monson´s talk. Honestly, as women, judging is one of our biggest faults! I love that President Monson spoke very directly and sternly, but with love. After the Relief Society session was over a man in the stake came up and asked us if we wanted to watch the rest of the sessions in English. Sister Garrett and I about died of happiness. It is still a little hard for her to understand everything in Portuguese and I definitely jumped at the chance to hear a little of my native tongue. So it was a tender mercy really when we watch the other four sessions in English. I honestly started to cry when I saw temple square and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and heard the talks in English. I got a little homesick, but I got over it quickly. After all the inspiring words of conference, I´m ready to refocus on my mission and give everything I have to these last 6 months. Don't be surprised if I arrive barely breathing and extremely sunburned and mosquito bitten when I get home..after a few months I´ll recover! Life will be so different when I return...so different than my life here. I was thinking about it the other day when I woke up with mosquitos buzzing around my head and fresh blood on my sheets from the constant battle with the mosquitos. I think I´ll just leave everything here when I come home. All my sheets are covered with blood from the mosquitos, my clothes are slowly gathering permanent mold, my shoes are cover with dirt that will take several days and a scrub brush to clean, but I´m happy....extremely happy. I know the Lord will provide for me after my mission. This week turned out to be pretty great. We had a double baptism with the other sisters and it went really well. We sang `´ Eu Sei Que Vive Meu Senhor`´ ( I Know That My Redeemer Lives) and it turned out to be so beautiful! Elizabeth was SO excited to be baptized and was just beaming the entire night. So I´ve officially decided that I was sent to the perfect mission for me. In the intermission of conference they had a few shots of Brazil and everyone was dancing and carrying on....that´s definitely BRazil! I think the Lord knew I needed a mission with people like me-- people who like to have fun and who really know how to enjoy life. I love this place! I´m going to ask President Hall to let me stay in Tibiri one more transfer (that would be 8 months here!)....I hope he lets me. The people here are like my familiy and I just don't want to say goodbye yet! Anyway more about conference....Wasn't it just the greatest ever?? That talk by Elder Holland made me feel sooo guilty and I definitely made of a lot of goals to change my ways. President Utchdorf´s talk was.....wow...and Elder Christoffersons talk....LOVE iT. President Monson´s talk about gratitude made me really rethink how I need to better my prayers and my life....anyway conference was amazing, amazing, amazing, and answered every question I had. I hope all you guys got to see at least a couple sessions of it! Well the weather is heating up A LOT down here....and we are still just in the spring. dang it. pretty soon it will be like a literal frying pan. I´m really happy I have a sunny mission though. It would be difficult to get up at 6:30 in the morning if it was cold! So I´ve been trying to work on my language skills and recently started reading `´Le Livre de Mormon´´ and `´Das Buch Mormon`´...(French and German). I´m was getting close to reading 2 Nefi in French a few weeks ago and decided since I was understanding a lot of it I would begin reading in German. Well today I began the German and it will be a long, hard, bumpy road until I finish it. German is way harder for me to learn than French, Spanish, or Italian. I read a few verses in an Italian Bible the other day and understood 90%! It is great how all the romance languages are so interlinked. Don't worry though I´´m not going crazy with languages....just trying to see what other languages I would like to learn. A guy in the CTM (who also works in the U.S. embassy in Brazil)knew 7 languages and said it is best to learn several languages at the same time....not to focus on one and perfect it before moving on to another. Anyway in the little spare time I have, I~m trying to expand my language abilities. Well I hope you guys are all doing great! I pray for you guys always and know that the Lord is taking care of you all! I would give you all the same counsel that President Monson gave....when the conference talks are available,,, read them, and reread them....set goals and do everything you can to reach them. I love you all!! Até próximo semana!

No comments:

Post a Comment