Monday, November 30, 2009

New area: Sousa

Goodness gracious a mission is hard! This past week was good, but extremely EXTREMELY hard. I´ve never been this tired in my entire life. My first week at the CTM I thought I knew what the words `hard´ and `tired´ meant.....well i didn~t. We walk all day every day in full sun and ´get absolutely drenched in sweat. I don´t know how many miles we walk, but it is definitely A LOT. At night I fall asleep before I hit the pillow. I don~t really mind the heat too much though...I´m quickly getting back the tan I lost in the CTM. Don~t worry though...I wear sunscreen everyday...mission rule, but even with that I get darker. My feet are trying to adjust to the mission and they are taking their sweet time. I have been wearing my chacos and thank goodness I brought them. They are the best! However, I still have blisters and every night my feet are so swollen I can barely remove my shoes. Today I put on a different pair of shoes that were a little big at one time and had to squeeze into them because my feet are so huge and puffy from walking. The sisters here assured me that the pain and suffering will eventually pass, but that my first transfer will be difficult. One of the Sisters was nice enough to massage my poor feet a couple times this past week. What an angel! The people here in Sousa are very nice. Every person we have talked to is willing to hear our message...but at the same time everyone here is EXTREMELY wishywashy. People say they will do something and then don~t....it is the same story over and over and over again. THe poverty I~ve witnessed while here is Sousa is absolutely incredible. I about burst into tears several times this past week just seeing the things people go through...but don~t worry I~m getting better at holdly back the tears. Some of the children here look like they are about to die of starvation...they are just so extremely skinny and have the swollen belly that is a dead give-away for severe malnutrition. Some places have no doors and the roofs are very crude. However, in the actual city of sousa people get along ok. Yes they are still very poor, but they have running water, doors, and usually a metal gate in front of their house. I´m pretty sure I won~t see carpet until the United States...or feel AC again. THe members here are nice. We are in a branch of about 60 members and it is located in an old building that looks like it could fall apart any minute. A new chapel is being built and it will be completed next August. The members fix us lunch everyday and usually it is delicious....rice, beans, and chicken! There was one lunch this past week that scared me a little. I have no idea what I was eating and didnt dare ask. All I know is that the first bite tasted like vomit BUT I said a quick prayer again over my food and after that I enjoyed it immensely. THe Lord can definitely bless us in all things! The food here is pretty darn good, definitely different but very good. When we have had a hard day we go and get Acai sorvette, which iS AMAZING!!!! Oh goodness...words can~t described how good it is. It is kind of like a mix between sorbet and icecream and is made out of the acai fruit. They put it in a bowl and cover it in granola, bananas, and sweetened condensed milk. DELICIOUS! When you come down you have to try it! I~ve tried a lot of fruit juice down here that is really different, but good! If you havent sent off my package yet be sure to include some american candy! Load up my ipod with lots of church, christmas, and classical music. One girl down here has one and it is amazing how just listening to music for a few minutes can lift your spirit and somehow make everything all better. Well I just miss guys so much! I have to admit I cried a lot this past week, but how can we know the good without the bitter huh:??! KEEP ME IN YOUR PRAYERS!!love you,sister wood

No comments:

Post a Comment