Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Getting my feet wet"

Another great week, but this email is going to be short... they give us so little time. I have LESS than 3 weeks until I leave this place and am getting nervous/excited.

One exciting thing about this last week is that we went proselying! Scary!! Actually it turned out to be an awesome experience. They let my district loose on the streets of casa verde with 4 Books of Mormon a piece. SIster Gricuis and I met so many cool people. Some were interested, some weren~t....it was just nice to get to know people. Our portuguese was pretty darn good and people kept complimenting us on our languages skills! SInce I~m an outgoing person I made sure as soon as we were done talking to one person, we immediately started talking to another. We talked to old ladies, old men, young men, mothers, fathers, children, teenagers....everyone! The best experience of the day is when we were walking up a hill and I saw a woman with her two children coming down. I was a little nervous to talk to her, but I quickly gained the confidence I needed. I stopped her and talked to her about her family for a few minutes and then talked to her about Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon. She was so attentive and had the cutest little girls---ages 3 and 8. During the message I looked down at them and there they were staring up at me with their cute little faces just waiting to see what I would say next. Towards the end of the message I started talking about the love of God for us. I looked into their eyes and all of a sudden felt a rush of warmth overcome me...and I realized how much God really does love his children...all of them. When I realized this I started to tear up and the lady did too. Through my tears I bore my simple testimony..it went something like this: I love you. I don~t know you very well, but I love you..because you are a child of God and he loves you so much. I know I don~t speak Portuguese well, but I just want you to know we have a God in heaven who loves us. Because of that love he sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. It is so very precious to me. It has blessed my life and the life of my family so much, and I know it will bless yours.

Well after I had us both in tears, she gladly took the Book of Mormon and told me she was going to read it with her family that evening. Before they left we showed the daughters the pictures of Christ in the front of the book. They were so excited. It is so easy to see why God loves the little children...they are so innocent and uncorrupted. Anyway it was a wonderful day. We gave away a total of 5 Books of Mormon ( i had an extra one) and 2 DVDs---finding Faith in Christ and The Restoration. I can~t wait to get out and proselyte again. A week from Friday we are going to Downtown Sao Paulo to do it!! yIKES!!!

Well I wish I could write more...but I~m out of time. I~m doing great...in good health, love this glorious work!!! Eu amo voces!!!

Ate proxima semana!
Sister Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment